Serving size : 4 - 5
* 3 Tbs + EVOO
* 1 2#+ butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. about 5 cups of squash
* 1 Tbs cumin seeds, lightly ground
* 1/2 tsp HRFPs
* 1# dried pasta; penne, rigatoni, or similar tube shape preferred
* 1 c vegetable stock (or water, in a pinch)
* 3/4 c Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
* 1/2 bunch kale, stripped and chopped (about 3 cups)
* 2 oz ricotta salata, cut into small cubes
* 1/3 c flat-leaf parsley and tender stems, roughly chopped
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* Bring a large covered pot of heavily salted water to a boil.
* In a 8 quart casserole pot, heat the oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add the squash and season with salt, cumin and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring every minute, until squash becomes browned in spots and is tender when pierced with a knife, about 8 - 10 mins.
* When the squash is tender, add the broth (or water) to the casserole. Bring to a lively simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is soft and easily mashable, 10 to 12 minutes.
* While squash is cooking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bring a large covered pot of water to a boil. When the water boils, add a small handful of salt and cook until shy of al dente (about 4 minutes less than the package instructions. It should be quite firm to the bite when tested). Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
* When the squash is soft and mashable, off heat, use a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon to crush about half of the butternut squash and leave the rest chunky. Season the squash with salt and pepper to taste, keeping in mind that the salty cheeses are still to be added.
* Put the casserole back on the low heat, add the cooked pasta to the casserole along with the 1 cup of reserved pasta water and 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir to combine. Stir in the chopped kale a handful at a time until it shrinks down a little.
* Once all the kale is added, sprinkle the top of the mixture with the remaining 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and the ricotta salata then place in the oven. Cook until the cheeses are melted and browned in spots, about 15 minutes.
* To serve, drizzle with EVOO and top with parsley.