Serves: 4 | prep Time 20 minutes | Cook time 25 Minutes
- 2 cups or about ¾ pound new potatoes
- 2 ½ pounds fresh fava beans
- ¼ to ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 green garlic stalks, whites and greens sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock or water
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
Scrub the potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
Cut open and remove the fava beans from the pod. You should end up with about 2 cups. Set aside.
In a medium pot of salted boiling water, cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl. Add the fava beans to the same pot of boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a bowl and run under cold water to cool. Using a sharp knife, slice through the fava bean skins and remove the skin by popping out the tender bean. Set aside.
In a medium skillet over medium-low heat, warm the olive oil. Add the potatoes, fava beans, rosemary, and green garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, adding a little stock or water to moisten, if necessary. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, adding cayenne if you choose. Serve warm or chilled.