Serves: 6-8 | prep time 10 minutes | Cook time 60 minutes
- 3 TBsp butter
- 8-12 oz ham hock, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 lb collard greens (about 2 bunches), center ribs and stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 lb turnip or mustard greens (about 2 bunches), bottom stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 TBsp prepared horseradish
- 2 TBsp sugar
- 1 TBsp kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add ham hock, onion, and bacon. Cook, Stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add all greens, turnip, horseradish, sugar, 1 Tbsp salt, 2tsp pepper, red pepper flakes, and 6 cups water. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, and adding more water by tablespoonfuls in pan is too dry, until greens are tender, 45-60 mins. Season to taste with salt and pepper.