Winter Squash Casserole
- 2 medium-size winter squash
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Place squash cubes in a large mixing bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour and cornstarch, then whisk in ginger, salt and pepper. Add half the dry ingredients to the squash and toss gently but thoroughly to combine. Add remaining dry ingredients and toss again until evenly coated. Add garlic, parsley, rosemary and ⅓ cup oil. Toss gently but thoroughly to coat.
Transfer squash to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 to 1½ hours, until tender. Uncover and bake until very soft, another 45 to 60 minutes.
To finish, brown the top: Turn oven to 350 degrees. Heat squash until sizzling on the bottom and crusty on the top, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.